
Here is my Gal, my pride and joy, although there are others, this one is mine.
Some folk have a whole stable of bikes, but I have only one, (now I have two)
so she gets my full and complete attention. I bought her from new around three years ago just around the time I decided to quite drinking alcohol. (another story). I felt that I needed something to do when the weather is fairly nice and also realised that I could do with the exercise. I was in my mid forties and developing a middle age paunch. I had not been on a bike since I was a kid and often thought about how nice it would be to be able to cycle again.
I spent quite a bit of time deciding what kind of bike to get, I did not realise there were so many different types to choose from, depends on what you wanted it for. Fast, light road bikes, rugged mountain bikes, springy comfort bikes, touring bikes, hybrid bikes, fixed gear bikes, and frame materials - titanium, aluminium, steel - what one?, how many gears should I get?, derailleur or hub gears?, Shimano or campagnola? and most important of all - what size bike do I need?
Where to start?
Fortunately I knew just where to start, find an expert, a guru, someone who knows bikes, and I knew just the man. After exhausting this resource I then found some cycling forums online, have you ever visited a cycling forum? they are fascinating places full of all things bike, and a lot more besides, and everyone wants to assist a newbie like me. So I lurked in the corner of a couple of forums. Cycling Monthly (UK) which became Bike Radar, and another one called CycleChat.
Soon I was becoming a cycling nerd, able to know my down tube from my bottom bracket, and familiar with terms such as Bonking? not what you think, bonking is when a rider going all out for some time suffers a severe energy loss and is unable to continue at the same high energy rate as he was doing. On YouTube there is a clip of Lance Armstrong bonking going up a mountain.
Finally I was in a better position to decide on the type of bike I would like. I knew that I would want to be able to commute to work, a distance of just over 7 miles each way through open countryside, I would also want to be able to go out for short (at first) spins for leisure, and I wanted the possibility of being able to do some light (at first) touring. I wanted as many gears as I could get, I decided on a triple front, and a bike that would be as durable as I could afford. A touring bike fitted the bill. In the end it was a choice between the Dawes Galaxy and a Revolution Country Traveller, from The Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op. Both were of a similer specification, and the Country Traveller was around £200 cheaper. I settled for the Galaxy, mainly because it was reckoned to be the touring bike standard with a proven track record, although I am sure that I would have been perfectly happy with the traveller. Since my purchase both companies have expanded the range of bikes to perhaps a more suitable bike for what I was looking for but was unavailable at the time. I am very happy with my Gal and have spent hundreds if not thousands of miles exploring Orkney with her.
The only modification I have made was to fit a Brooks saddle, it was a good rear end investment. I have various panniers for her and a wireless computer, not the best, but good enough for me. I have also bought some cycling clothing, cycling shoes, a helmet and a decent rainproof hi vis jacket. Add on a decent lighting set and a saddle bag with tools, spare tubes and and a puncture outfit. i also bought a couple of pumps, one for at home and a smaller one to take on the bike.
here are some pictures taken recently when I have been out over the Churchill Barriers, my favourite route, quite close to home.



0 comments:
Post a Comment