Sunday, 21 February 2010

A Cycle Round Dearness, Orkney.

 

Wind today was fairly light and from the east, I decided to go for a ride around Dearness today.
Headed down towards St Andrews primary school, initially quite cold, on the horizon over Dearness I could see some showers heading this way. 
Turn right at St Andrews and you are on the Dearness road. dearness is an isthmith or nearly an island. this area is known as Toab, there are quite a few houses both new and old all serviced by the Toab post office. Head out of Toab and over the hill and Dingyshowe bay lies before you. This was a prehistoric meeting place in times past.




Dingyshowe Bay pictured above. St Peters Pool is on the left, you can just see Copinsay peeking out beyond Dingyshowe.
Head on up the road and you will reach the Dearness shop on the left hand side, cant miss it, it has a green roof and petrol pumps outside.
I keep on past the shop and past the Community centre with its new playpark and wind turbine and ride up the hill towards Lighthouse corner. Usually I go left here and go round towards the Covenanters memorial carpark, but not today. The road was very icy so it was wiser to turn back. I crossed the crossroads and headed down towards Newark Bay and turned right about halfway down the road, past some houses to be met on the road by a massive (looked fairly young) Great Dane. It tried to lick me off my bike but failed to keep up.

Back to the shop and turned left for home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment